The purpose of Practical Rifle is both competition and skills development. This is an opportunity to get your rifle "off the bench" and challenge your marksmanship skills while developing new skills most shooters can't practice on a range. Competitors will face new scenarios each month.
Attendees typically use modern, magazine-fed, semi-automatic rifles such as AR-15s, AK variants, Springfield M1As, etc. Bolt-action rifles are not recommended, since some stages require magazine changes. Shooters should plan on firing about 100 rounds.
Pre-registration for Practical Rifle events is handled through Eventbrite. The cost is $10 for ASC members and $30 for non-members and is non-refundable. Discount codes for members to get the discount can be found in the Action Shooting Sports forum on the main club page.
Advanced Registration for Practical Rifle events is available by clicking on the Register Now Button above. Stage diagrams and match scores from monthly matches can be found on the Matches page.
2020 PR Match Dates are:
- January 16 (Winter Schedule)
- February 29 (Winter Schedule)
- March 19
- April 16
- May 21
- June 18
- July 16
- August 20
- October 15
- November 19
- December 17 (Winter Schedule)
On-Site registration is available IF there are any slots left. There are 30 slots in the 9 AM flight and 30 slots in the 1 PM flight.
Whether pre-registered or on-site registered, you must be present for CHECK-IN* 15 minutes (0845 / 1245) before the published start time. Shooters not present for check-in will forfeit their spot. Check-In occurs at the Registration desk, located between the 100 and 200 yard bays.
AT 15 MINUTES BEFORETHE PUBLISHED START TIME, we will start promptly with a Roll Call followed by a Safety Brief. Immediately following the Safety Brief, squads will walk to their start stage. All shooters must have event gear ready and in their possession before the Safety Brief begins.
* 'CHECK-IN' means you are confirmed present with the registration table. If you are late, we will assign your spot to someone who arrived on time and you will be added to the bottom of the 'Space-Available Signup Sheet'
- Rifle - typically a modern, magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle/carbine in caliber of 9mm or greater, such as an AR-15, AK variant,M1A, etc.
- Ammunition - about 100 rounds of non-penetrator ammunition (steel or tungsten core or green tip penetrators). However, you should bring enough rounds for your skill level.
- Chamber Flag - have a chamber flag which is easily, quickly and positively removed from/inserted into the chamber of your rifle. PIECES OF ROPE/TWINE WILL NO LONGER BE PERMITTED.
- Magazines - typically there is a stage with a magazine change. Most shooters bring a minimum of three (3) magazines.
- Clothing - we shoot regardless of weather. Plan accordingly.
- Food - food is not available for purchase at our facility. Plan accordingly.
- Water - hydration is important. Plan accordingly.
F. A. Q.